Thursday, July 10, 2014

Moko Sushi

          I recently tried Moko Japanese Cuisine, a tiny sushi restaurant on East Broadway in South Boston. I've been looking for a neighborhood spot since moving to Southie earlier this year, and after scoping a few of them out this seemed the most promising.

          I started with an order of tuna tartare with crispy rice chips. I loved this dish, it was very spicy topped with both spicy mayo and hot sauce. 


          The bf enjoyed his generous portion of steamed pork gyoza.


          The specialty rolls range from $10-$14 each, and Moko has tons of creative options. We enjoyed two, the Spicy Crazy Maki (Shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber topped with spicy tuna and cream cheese) and Tornado Maki (Shrimp tempura, cucumber, and avocado topped with crabstick, spicy mayo, scallions and tobiko). 


          The sashimi appetizer was my favorite; this was the Chef's choice of six pieces and came out with salmon, tuna, and yellowtail. I wouldn't normally order sashimi the first time I try a place, but we were seated right in front of the sushi bar and it was full of beautiful cuts of fish. These were no exception.


          We also tried the spinach with sesame sauce, which was rich and flavorful.


          I'm picky about my sushi (the grade of fish has to be top notch) and tend dine at the high end gourmet style places, but less often than I'd like because they're so pricey. Moko is more casual, traditional style sushi with excellent quality for a good value.  This is a place I would go every week.

Moko on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment